Friday, April 6, 2007

Welcome to my knit blog!

So, I've been blogging for a time now, and I've decided that the time has come to split my knitting from my personal blog.

A little about me.... I'm 25 and have been knitting since I was 16. Only recently have I gotten into more advanced knitting, such as lace, double knitting and stranded knitting. By recently, I mean in the past couple of years. Soon after I graduated university in 2003, I discovered the joys of the LYS. I live in an urban centre, so thankfully I have three within 20 minutes of me, and another three within a one to two-hour drive. The best ones are honestly in the rural areas - they have more space and lots of stuff you don't see anywhere else.

One of my favourite things about the knitting world is how everyone works together. If one store doesn't have something, they'll point you towards someone who does. Recently, the store I frequent the most often, The Loop, had a 24-hour knit-a-thon for the homeless. It was fantastic, even if I couldn't stay over night. Next time, I know to make plans to do that. :)

I took up spinning about a year ago. I started on a drop spindle and by June I had a Louet wheel. I love it. I'm loving how everytime I do it, my yarn gets a little smoother and a little bit more even. I'm teaching myself as I go. I read blogs by spinners and I have a couple of books to refer to as well.

I love colour in both my spinning or knitting, plain black bores the heck out of me. It's hard to work with because it's so dark, that a lot of patterns don't show up. My opinion is that black is best used in small doses to accent colours. To make the colours pop more. Mind you, a lot of my wardrobe is black, but when it comes to knitting, I avoid it as much as I can. It's hard when one of your best friends loves black and your father loves black socks.

My favourite things to knit include mittens, fingerless gloves, socks, socks and more socks. I tend to get bored on sweaters, but since I've been losing weight (thus making the sweaters smaller to make) I might actually start enjoying them - especially since I'm going to try out some beautiful patterns from Interweave Knits. I haven't decided which ones yet though.

No photos right now, although I have a few that I'll probably post over this long weekend. Maybe you guys can start holding me accountable for the lace scarf I'm knitting my mom for Mother's Day. There's a long way to go. I better start knitting....

No comments: